NEEDS TO BE RESTORED: Graeser Park
The beehive fireplace in Robbinsdale’s 1939 Lilac Way park is one of only two left in the U.S.—and the only beehive in its original location. There is a growing community effort to restore this park.
Graeser Park, 2019 Cleanup Events
The Robbinsdale Lions are back at work, maintaining Lilac Way’s Graeser Park. We’ve heard that the City of Robbinsdale expects MnDOT to transfer ownership by end of 2019.
Graeser Park’s beehive fireplace protected, March 28th, 2019
On a chilly March day, the City of Robbinsdale installed protective fencing around the Graeser Park beehive fireplace. The fencing will prevent future damage of this historic Lilac Way parkitecture. Built in 1939, it is one of only two beehive fireplaces in the U.S., and the only beehive in its original location. Includes photos of frozen ponds in rock garden.
Maintaining Graeser Park
The Robbinsdale Lions Club and individual Graeser Park Angels have transformed Graeser Park from a forgotten park to a showcase. They removed trees, weeded, and cleaned to help bring this park back to life.
Graeser Park ‘Meet me at the Beehive’ events, 2018
To raise awareness, Kristi Gibson at the Robbinsdale Historical Society did a stupendous job organizing a series of free community events at the park in July-September 2018. Included ‘Yoga at the Beehive,’ a painting party, and Old Log Theatre performing songs from their hit show, ‘Beehive.’
Graeser Park bandshell and overlook wall, 2018
A home to concerts, musicians and events since 1939, this 14′-wide curving lookout bay has three sets of limestone steps leading to park.
Graeser Park, 2016
By 2016, the Robbinsdale Lions Club had been working on the park for eight years, and these photos show their dedication.
Graeser Park, 2000
We found these May 2000 photos online in a MnDOT photo inventory. The images may not quite be up to our typical standards, but still worth viewing. The photos were scans of laser print-outs. The search is on for the original photos.
Graeser Park, 1997
Just one photo, found in MnDOT’s 1998 Historic Roadside Development Structures on Minnesota Trunk Highways report by Susan Granger, Scott Kelly and Kay Grossman. Hoping to add more photos as available.