Quick links to sections below
1964 MN Department of Highways Maintenance Area 5A Wayside Rest Inventory
1997 MnDOT Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventories
MnDOT Library, individual inventory pages
MnDOT. 1964. Blazer Park – Golden Valley MN Inventory JPG
MnDOT. 1964. Graeser Park North – Robbinsdale MN Inventory JPG
MnDOT. 1964. Graeser Park South – Robbinsdale MN Inventory JPG
MnDOT. 1964. St. Louis Park Roadside Parking Area – St. Louis Park MN Inventory (now restored and renamed Lilac Park, with beehive fireplace from the original Lilac park at Minnetonka Boulevard) JPG
Glenwood Avenue Roadside Parking Area was razed in 1959, so it was not included in this 1964 inventory.
The three wayside rest areas below were included in this 1964 inventory, but have not been considered part of Lilac Way.
This may need to be re-evaluated.
MnDOT. 1964. Rest & Picnic Area on Bassett Creek – Golden Valley MN Inventory JPG
MnDOT. 1997. Graeser Park (North and South) – Robbinsdale MN Inventory 544KB PDF, 9 pages
MnDOT. 1997. St. Louis Park Roadside Parking Area – St. Louis Park MN Inventory (now restored and renamed Lilac Park, with beehive fireplace from the original Lilac park at Minnetonka Boulevard.), 341KB PDF, 8 pages
MnDOT. 1997. Original Lilac Park on Minnetonka Boulevard – St. Louis Park MN Inventory 340KB PDF, 8 pages
MnDOT. 2005. Supplement to Historic Roadside Development Structures, MN Trunk Highways, 5MB PDF, 66 pages
Excelsior Boulevard Roadside Parking Area in St. Louis Park was razed in 1969, and Glenwood Avenue Roadside Parking Area was razed in 1959. Therefore, they were not included in this 1997 inventory.
Gemini Research, Morris, MN. Prepared for MnDOT by Susan Granger, Scott Kelly and Kay Grossman. Historic Roadside Development Structures on Minnesota Trunk Highways. PDF, 3.3MB, 242 pages
- ABSTRACT A cultural resources study of historic roadside development properties was conducted in 1996-1998 by Gemini Research for Mn/DOT. The study’s goal was to inventory all roadside development properties on current Mn/DOT right-of-way that contain pre-1961 standing structures and to evaluate the National Register eligibility of the sites. A total of 102 properties were inventoried. (This included Lilac Way parks.)
Guide to the Inventory Form. 98KB, 6 pages. (I think this is a companion piece to the report above – same format but I can’t find a date)
MnDOT. Trunk Highway 100 Reconstruction from Glenwood Avenue to 50th Avenue. 29MB PDF, 302 pages. Please note that this is a large file that was digitized by Google Books as part of an ongoing effort to preserve the information in books and make it universally accessible. (Since the pages are scanned, this PDF is not searchable).
Liz Walton, MnDOT Office of Technical Support and Rolf Anderson, Historian. Identifying, Evaluating, and Preserving Minnesota’s Historic Roadside Facilities. PDF, 2.9MB, 18 pages
MnDOT Reports – LOOKING FOR THESE FILES
These reports are referenced on the 1997 MnDOT Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventories. I would love to add these PDF files to this site. Please contact Karen if you can help.
- Annual Report of the Accomplishments of Roadside Development Along the Trunk Highways in Minnesota. Minnesota Department of Highways. 1938 and 1939.
- “An Appraisal Inventory of Work Done with W.P.A. and Other Federal Relief Funds Through the Functioning of the Department of Highways, State of Minnesota.” Unpublished manuscript, 1938.
- Biennial Report of the Commissioner of Highways of Minnesota. 1935-1936 (pub. Jan. 1, 1937; 1937-1938 (pub. Mar. 1, 1939); 1942-1944 (pub. Dec. 1, 1944).
- Henning, Barbara J. Phases I and II Cultural Resource Historical Investigation: T.H. 100 (Lilac Way) S.P. 2743. Prepared for Minnesota Department of Transportation by Rivercrest Associates, Inc., September 1997.
- Lee, Rudolph. “Highway Department Approves ‘Lilac Way’ West of City.” Minneapolis Journal, July 28, 1935, pp. 1 and 4.
- “Lilac Way Here Soon.” Minneapolis Journal, Jan. 30, 1938, p. 2.
- Meyer, Scott B., Richard L. Mattson, Andrew J. Schmidt. Phase I and II Cultural Resources Investigation for Trunk Highway 100 Reconstruction. Prepared for Minnesota Department of Transportation by The 106 Group Ltd., Feb. 15, 1995.
- Nichols, A. R., comp. Album of Roadside Development Projects. 7 vols. Photo album prepared for the Roadside Development Division, Minnesota Department of Highways. Ca. 1937-1941.
- Olson, Harold E., comp. Historical Markers in Minnesota. 4 vols. Prepared by the Roadside Development Division, Minnesota Department of Highways. Ca. 1942, updated ca. 1954.
- Schmidt, Andrew. Inventory form for Blazer Park. July 15, 1994.
National Park Service link to historic and contemporary resources
- 2006 Currents – New Deal Roadside Landscape Features: Bibliography, Historic + Contemporary Resources. Sadly, this is only a list and does not link to any of the actual files. But an interesting reference list.